In the words of Shia Labeouf: “JUST DO IT!”
So, I’ve been telling myself to keep a regular, weekly blog for the past month. Originally it was a new years resolution, next to losing weight which has met similar stagnation, but now a whole month into 2016 I feel like that wouldn’t be the right thing to call it. Saying that it is my quest or mission sounds far too dramatic, though I do relish in the thought of trading blows with the great weight loss dragon, slinging spells and running away like a little girl because dragons are generally boss encounters. So I’m going to call it my escape. My escape from teaching; the all-consuming entity of my life at the moment. I’m about half way through my training and about 95% of the way through my energy. The motivation stores ran dry long ago.
Anyway, thoughts of the week. Firstly, I had a wonderful success in the form of joining two Pathfinder games during the week. I am now in two Pathfinder games, one Stars Without Number game and one Cyberpunk 2020 game, so my role-playing needs are certainly being filled. Throughout the week I am myself, then I also pretend to be:
- A covert corporate operative who is also married with children
- A self-exiled French politician who can see the future
- A half-elf noble on the run from criminals who killed her family
- An elven courtesan who basically works for Fantasy Illuminati
- An enthusiastic 11 – 16 maths teacher
I’m also trying to start including voice acting into my role-playing. Inspired by the web series Critical Role (which is amazing!), I have decided to practice my own skills at voice acting for my RP. I used to be a drama student, so why not? I think it really helps for the immersion when done well, and two of my characters would speak similarly to myself anyway.
What else happened this week? I walked around in circles in Fallout 4 and made very little progress. I was going to join the minutemen, but then realised that it started feeling like an MMO with how many repetitive quests I had to grind out. No, Preston, I won’t clear and set up yet another settlement. I haven’t yet completed the game, so no spoilers from me, but I’m getting there. Somewhat. Piper is my lesbian crush… Did I say that out loud?
I played some Skyrim too. 225 hours in and I still haven’t gotten past the Greybeards through a combination of switching character concepts and getting sidetracked. I’ll complete it at some point, I promise…
I’ve been visiting a few MMOs recently too, though I think I’ve come to the same conclusion as I always do: they’re really boring and soul-crushing. I’m mainly drawn to MMOs for the role-playing aspect, but these are my findings:
- World of Warcraft: Some decent guilds lost in a sea of absolute trash. Managed to find a great Horde side guild for my Blood Elf (it didn’t have many Blood Elves. I dislike Blood Elf RPers because 95% of them tend to be special snowflakes), but then the guild shut down. Also, the game mechanics themselves are way too grindy!
- SWTOR: More acceptable levels of RP and I already know the RP community well. Imbalanced starfighter matches and repetitive end-game is what put me off here. The pressure of being a known, good pilot on my server is a bit much sometimes.
- Guild Wars 2: I just couldn’t be bothered to start from near the beginning
- The Secret World: See Guild Wars 2
What does that mean? Well, I’ve set myself a goal. My goal is to write at least 500 words per day towards a traditional fantasy adventure/romance novel that I’ve had in the brain for years now. I think the concept is solid enough for me to actually commit, so I’ve written up a plan and everything. If all goes according to plan, first draft should be done by late spring or early summer!
This also means I will be playing more “normal” games; Fallout 4 and Skyrim both need completing. Team Fortress 2 is just calling out to me, the urge to market garden is strong. Metal Gear Solid 5 will get a 2nd play through, because I’m a sadist and want Hideo Kojima to savage my emotions again. I may even play VoidExpanse again (great indie game!)
Anyway, this post is getting way too long, so I’m going to cut it by saying that I discovered Sharknado 3 is coming out. This pleases me.